INSTRUMENTATION/INFRASTRUCTURE PROPOSALS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED FOR FY15. ALL PROPOSALS HAVE BEEN REVIEWED AND RANKED. AWARD DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE AND WILL BE ANNOUNCED PENDING REVIEW BY THE OFFICE OF RESEARCH AND DISCOVERY.
WEES periodically offers competitive grants for the purchase of instrumentation, equipment, or infrastructure needed to enable UA researchers to be more competitive in applying for major grants and to facilitate cross-disciplinary collaborations. This could include investment needed to generate data, conduct pilot projects, increase computing capabilities through software or hardware acquisition, or other related expenditures, but does not include personnel costs.
Terms And Conditions
- Equipment/infrastructure must serve an interdisciplinary group of researchers and multiple users in a shared facility, and benefit students and post-docs.
- Priority will be given to purchases having matching funding.
- Maximum award amounts will be $100K.
- Equipment must be guaranteed to be delivered by March 31, 2015 (i.e. no backorders!) to ensure all funds are expended by then.
- Proposals will be evaluated by an interdisciplinary review panel of the WEES UA Advisory Committee and will be ranked by funding priority.
- Initial awards will be announced in December; additional awards may be made in early 2015 as more funding becomes available.
- Individuals holding faculty rank, who have an appointment in the research scientist series of titles, or who have continuing or continuing-eligible status are eligible to apply. Interdisciplinary teams are strongly encouraged.
- Research capability – how this purchase will benefit UA’s overall research enterprise and make proposals more competitive; whether the purchase is unique to campus or expands needed capacity; the value and application of the data to be generated by the equipment.
- Return on investment – intended outcomes from use of this purchase that will lead to high potential for research funding and external partnerships; specific major proposals that will be targeted as a result.
- Relevance –equipment will be used to produce data that addresses water, environmental, and/or energy challenges relevant to Arizona.
- Integration – priority will be given to purchases that could be used by multiple disciplines/departments at UA, involve at least two areas in the water-environment-energy nexus, and include partnerships (including matching funding) outside the UA.
- Proposals are due: October 31, 2014
- Awards will announced in 2015 (decisions are now under review by Office of Research and Discovery)
- All funds must be expended by: March 31, 2015
Prepare the following before linking to the Equipment Grant Application Form:
Note: for increased security, you will need to create an account/log in to this site to be able to upload your application files. This will require entering a(ny) username and your email; you will instantly receive an email providing a password and access.
- Prepare a single pdf file containing the following sections:
- Internal and external PIs – list all departments and/or partners involved in the purchase and use of the equipment.
- Request (1 page maximum) – describe the equipment to be purchased, the general research area it will be used in, who will use it (including students and post-docs), the type of data it will produce, and why the investment is critical to this research area.
- Contribution to UA Research Capabilities – (1 page maximum) describe how this purchase will benefit UA’s overall research enterprise, make proposals more competitive, and/or foster new external partnerships; whether the purchase is unique to campus or expands needed capacity; and the value and application of the data to be generated by the equipment (a broader view than the previous section).
- Return on investment – list specific major proposals that will be targeted as a result of the acquisition of this equipment.
- Relevance to WEES (200 words) – describe how use of this equipment and the associated research will specifically benefit people and industry sectors in Arizona and help address key water, environment, and/or energy issues in the state.
- Lead PIs’ grant track record (submittals and awards) over the past 18 months.
- Budget: itemize the amount you're requesting, the total cost of the equipment (if different), and financial contributions (distinguish pending requests and sources from firm commitments) from other UA or outside partners.
As a recipient of WEES funding, you will be required to respond to the annual survey distributed each June that requests information on students funded, students engaged, publications, and other outcomes and accolades resulting from the purchase of this equipment. Because we claim ROI for five years following WEES investments, we will expect you to continue to update us for five years after the purchase year.